In a cool, wet climate like Eugene, Oregon, there’s nothing like warming the rain out of your bones with a fire. With the conveniences of our modern world, most of us don’t need to use a wood stove to keep a house warm. However, having a stove can reduce energy cost by providing an alternative
Masonry chimneys, such as those made from stone or brick and held together by mortar, are susceptible to damage over the years. Although these materials are meant to withstand high temperatures, fire can still cause damage to the masonry if the chimney isn’t properly maintained or used correctly. According to the Chimney Safety Institute of
Masonry material can be stone, marble, granite, travertine, limestone, cast stone, concrete, brick, stucco, tile, glass, and cob. For a fireplace, some materials work better than others. The materials need to be able to withstand the heat of the fire but also moisture if they are meant to be used outside for the chimney. Because
Cleaning a chimney is important to do when the creosote builds up to a quarter of an inch. Chimney cleaning gets rid of creosote, which is unhealthy to breathe in, and prevents damage inside the chimney if the soot catches fire. If you decide this is something you want to try yourself, consider the different methods
Those who live in moist, shady environments, such as the Pacific Northwest, are all too familiar with moss, lichen, and algae. Some love the look so much that they choose to include moss in their gardens and between stones on their paths. However, moss in your gardens is one thing, moss on your roof is another.