Christmas is right around the corner, which means it’s time get your house and chimney prepared. At the Oregon Chimney Guys we wanted to remind our chimney lovers to be safe with their fireplaces this holiday season. Here are some fire safety tips we recommend to follow. For all of your chimney needs, whether it be creosote removal or wood stove installation, call the best in Eugene, the Oregon Chimney Guys!
Don’t hang Christmas stockings in front of a burning fire.
We know how traditional it is to hang stockings from your mantle, but this can be a huge fire hazard. We recommend always keeping anything flammable at least three feet away from a fireplace. Hanging stockings can easily catch fire from a spark or ember and the heat may even damage some of the goods inside. Instead of hanging your stockings on your mantle, you can hang them from small hooks in front of an entertainment center or staircase.
Keep an eye out for kids and pets.
When your house is filled with friends and family it’s easy to get distracted. Accidents happen and it’s important to keep an eye out for kids and pets who may not realize the danger of a burning fire. For more child safety tips with fireplaces, read more here.
Don’t decorate mantle with flammable objects.
Just like with Christmas stockings, you’ll want to keep your mantle free of any decorations that can catch fire. This can often time be overlooked as the mantle is commonplace to house Christmas decorations. So, find another spot in the house to display those Christmas cards or other flammable decorations like tinsel and garlands.
Make sure your Christmas tree is at least three feet away.
It may look nice to have your Christmas tree right next to your fireplace, but it could make for a huge disaster if a spark were to catch your tree or any of the decorations on it. When putting up your Christmas tree make sure it’s at least three feet away from your fireplace. This includes all of the tree decorations and wrapped presents as well!
Don’t burn gift wrapping paper.
So, you’re done unwrapping all of the gifts, might as well throw the paper in the fireplace and save space in the trash right? WRONG. Because of all of the dyes and inks that are used in most kinds of wrapping papers, burning them can release hazardous fumes like carbon monoxide. Not to mention that burning discarded paper can cause a flash fire.
This time of year is always a busy one for our fireplaces, so it’s important to take proper care of them. If you haven’t already, get your annual chimney sweep and inspection before the holidays hit. This time of year is always busy and it can be easy to forget to schedule your routine chimney maintenance appointment. Good thing the Oregon Chimney Guys of Eugene, Oregon have made it easy for you to schedule online!