Fatal cases of CO poisoning are often under-reported and symptoms are commonly misdiagnosed which makes general awareness of CO fairly low. Since clogged chimneys are one of the common causes of CO poisoning, we thought we’d dedicate a blog to raise awareness and encourage our followers to take precautions to prevent this silent killer. If you haven’t gotten your annual chimney sweep, call the chimney experts of Eugene, the Oregon Chimney Guys!
Know the symptoms
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
- Fast heart rate
These are all possible signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you experience any of these symptoms or feel you may be at risk, immediately get into fresh air and seek medical attention. Other signs to look out for are if your symptoms only occur when you’re at home or if you feel better after leaving the house. If you have pets that are refusing to come into the house or appear irritable, this could also be a sign of CO.
Get your annual chimney sweep and inspection
A clogged chimney flu or creosote build-up can pose a huge risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Getting an annual chimney sweep and inspection from a chimney professional, like the Oregon Chimney Guys of Eugene, will ensure that your fireplace is running safely. Schedule a chimney sweep today!
Only use fuel burning items in a well ventilated area
Whether you’re indoors or outdoors, it’s important to use any fuel-burning appliance in a well-ventilated area. When camping, never cook inside of a tent or enclosed area. Don’t barbeque or use a charcoal grill in the house or garage. Don’t use gas burners to heat your tent or any other enclosed area. Don’t run your car inside of a garage that is attached to your house. Lastly, never burn anything in a fireplace that isn’t vented!
Monitor chimney and appliances regularly
Performing regular maintenance and checking up on household appliances is your best bet to ensuring that they aren’t putting off any harmful CO emissions. You should have your heating system, water heater, and any other fuel-burning appliance serviced and inspected by a qualified technician at least every year. That way if there’s a leak, they will be able to catch it before it becomes deadly!
Open flue and damper when using fireplace
Unintentionally forgetting to open a chimney flue or damper on a fireplace isn’t all that uncommon. That’s why it’s important to remember to check it every time you burn a fire. This simple precaution will help you prevent CO poisoning from your fireplace. If you are unsure how to tell whether or not your chimney flue is open, here’s how.
For more information about CO poisoning prevention visit the CO Awareness site or check out this informational guide from the Best Heating. For all of your chimney needs, creosote removal, and dryer vent cleaning, call the best in Eugene, the Oregon Chimney Guys.
Stay safe and happy heating!